During the last few months, God has made me very aware that I am blessed. And the unexpected death of my husband has just seemed to accelerate the flow of blessings. In contrast to the darkness and death, tears and trauma, sorrow and stress, the blessings of God have dropped like quiet dew … jewels from Heaven’s treasure store. So … as difficult as I’m sure the holidays will be when we as a family celebrate them for the first time without Danny Lotz, I’m equally sure that I will be counting my blessings and overflowing with thanksgiving to the One who is the Fountainhead from whom all blessings flow.
READ NUMBERS 6:24-26
All blessing comes from God. We receive it from Him, then become a channel of His blessing to others. God has blessed you and me, as He did Abraham, so that we can be a blessing to others (Genesis 12:2-3). Those others, in turn, bless God with their praise and thanksgiving. The blessing that came from God is therefore returned to God, who blesses even more. So … in being blessing-bearers, we are blessed.
THE BLESSING OF GOD THE FATHER
• What two things are revealed about God the Father in this verse?
• How are these two characteristics reflected in God’s title given in Psalm 80:1 and described in more detail in Psalm 23?
• List the things the Shepherd does for His sheep in Psalm 23. Which is most meaningful to you?
Subscribe to Decision
Get your own subscription, or renewal, or bless someone by giving Decision Magazine as a gift.
• Give phrases with verses that emphasize God’s determination to keep His children: Psalm 91:1-16, Psalm 121:1-8, Isaiah 41:10 and Romans 8:38-39.
• How does God’s determination to keep you give you comfort and security?
• List as many blessings as you can from Ephesians 1:3-14 that come from God the Father.
• What five blessings from this list are most meaningful to you? Thank Him for them.
• When has God kept you … from the enemy? From danger? From temptation? What else has He kept you from? Thank Him now.
THE BLESSING OF GOD THE SON
• What two characteristics of God the Son are revealed in this verse?
• What did Jesus Christ claim in John 14:9?
• Give phrases that use these characteristics to describe Jesus Christ as God the Son, in John 1:18, Hebrews 1:3, 2 Corinthians 4:6, John 1:14-17.
• Since Jesus put a “face” on God the Father, how would you describe the Father to a friend?
• What is there about Jesus that makes you love God the Father more?
THE BLESSING OF GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT
• What two characteristics of God the Spirit are revealed in this verse?
• How does the Holy Spirit turn God’s face toward us? See John 14:15-17, 16:13-15; Romans 5:1-5; John 14:26.
• Where does real peace come from and how do you experience it? See Isaiah 48:17-18; John 14:27; Philippians 4:6-7; Romans 8:6; 14:17; Galatians 5:22; Ephesians 5:18.
• In what area of your life do you lack peace? Would you ask God to reveal to you why? Then surrender everything to the control of God the Holy Spirit, opening your heart to His river of peace that passes all understanding.
Each evening, at the dinner table, my children and I pray one of the biblical blessings over each other. God has used this simple and very ancient practice to help give me peace. Joy. Comfort. A sweet sense of rest … on the inside. Try this for yourself. Today, pray Numbers 6:24-26 over someone—out loud, in their hearing. Bless them in the name of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Ask them in turn to pray this blessing over you. Then take a few moments to offer a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving to God from whom all blessings flow.
Anne Graham Lotz has proclaimed God’s Word worldwide for more than 30 years. Her re-release of Heaven, My Father’s House, is available at annegrahamlotz.org.
Give To Where Most Needed
Help us fulfill our mission of proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all we can by every effective means available to us and by equipping others to do the same.