I recently read that the winds we typically experience in March are the result of atmospheric instability caused by increasingly strong sunshine. Could this also be true spiritually? Could the winds of adversity and instability, pain and pressure, sickness and weariness, be caused by an increasingly strong SONshine? Could God be shining the light of His truth, His presence, His power, His peace more brightly, so that in contrast to our circumstances we are compelled to look up … and cry out to Him?
Subscribe to Decision
Get your own subscription, or renewal, or bless someone by giving Decision Magazine as a gift.
The most God-centered chapter in the Bible is also the first chapter—and it helps you and me to refocus on the God of Creation and to be thankful for the winds that draw us back to Him.
Read Genesis 1
I. THE DESPERATE CONDITION
- From Genesis 1:2, give four words or phrases that describe Planet Earth.
- How could each description apply to the condition of a human life?
- Who among your friends and acquaintances fits these descriptions? How likely is it for that person to change on his or her own?
II. THE DELIBERATE PREPARATION
- From Genesis 1:1-3, what catalyst did God use to prepare the earth for change?
- Give other examples of change, brought about by this same catalyst, from John 16:5-15; John 18:17, 25-27 with Acts 4:8, 20; Romans 8:1-5, 11, 14-16.
- What can you do to activate this catalyst in the life of someone you know who needs to be changed? See Mark 9:17-19, 28-29; James 5:13-18; 1 Peter 4:7.
- When and how will you work to deliberately prepare the person for change?
- Who do you know that has been changed as a result of this type of preparation?
- Who do you know that will likely not be changed because of the lack of this type of preparation?
III. THE DAILY TRANSFORMATION
- From Genesis 1:3-31, how many times does the phrase “and God said” occur? Give verses.
- How many times does the phrase “and it was so” (or the equivalent) occur? Give verses.
- Does the first phrase, “And God said,” ever occur without the second phrase, “and it was so?” What foundational principle does this teach you?
- How is this foundational principle confirmed in Psalm 119:89? Matthew 5:18? Matthew 24:35? 2 Timothy 3:16? 2 Peter 1:20-21? Revelation 22:6?
- List the changes, with the corresponding verses, that took place on Planet Earth in response to God’s Word.
- Apply each change on Planet Earth to that which takes place in a human life in response to the power of God’s Spirit and God’s Word. For example, in verse 3: God’s Word brought light into the darkness. God’s Word brings the light of truth, understanding and faith into the darkness of falsity, ignorance and unbelief.
- Did all of these changes take place at one time? If not, how did they occur?
- Although the changes were different, what factors were consistently the same each day?
- Are these same factors present in your life? What can you do to help establish them in the life of the person described in paragraph 1?
IV. THE DIVINE REFLECTION
- Contrast Genesis 1:2 with 1:28-31. What are some of the most striking results of the changes that were made?
- What does it mean to you to be created by God? To be created in God’s image? To be created male and female?
- What do you need to do so that God can change you into a person in whom He can see His own image reflected? See 2 Corinthians 3:18 and 1 Peter 1:6-7.
- What changes need to take place in your life for the Creator to say it is “very good?”
What “wind” has been blowing in your life? The life of your loved one? The life of our nation and our world? Could God be using the winds to get our attention so that we focus once again on the God of Creation? If He could transform Planet Earth in the beginning, He can transform our lives, our nation and our world. His power has not been diminished nor diluted over the ages. It’s time to look up … and be thankful for the Wind that has gotten our attention. ©2019 Anne Graham Lotz
Adapted from an article published in August 2003.
Anne Graham Lotz has proclaimed God’s Word worldwide for more than 40 years. Her latest book, “The Daniel Key,” is available from major booksellers.
Let God transform your life. Pray now.
>> Read more from Decision Magazine
Give To Where Most Needed
Help us fulfill our mission of proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all we can by every effective means available to us and by equipping others to do the same.