The word ADVENT means ARRIVAL, and it refers to the arrival of Jesus Christ into the world.
The “Advent season” usually starts four weeks before Christmas and concludes with the celebration of Christ’s birth.
Some churches emphasize the Advent season more than others, but all Christians look forward to celebrating Christ’s birth during this season of the year. Why was Jesus’ birth so important? The reason is because slightly over 2,000 years ago, God stooped down from Heaven and became a human being: Jesus Christ. As the Bible says,
“The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” — John 1:14, NIV
Think of it: God became a man! He did it because He loves us—and that’s what we should celebrate as Christmas approaches.
Take time between now and Christmas to reflect on this great truth. This devotional series provides a reading for each week as you prepare to celebrate the coming of the Christ child.
Read Isaiah 9:6 — In this Scripture we find the message and meaning of Christmas. Isaiah the prophet gave five awe-inspiring names of our Lord that encourage us, thrill us, and fill us with hope at this Christmas season.
1. Wonderful. When He did His many miracles, the Scripture says, “The people wondered” (Luke 11:14, KJV).
2. Counselor. The people said, “No one ever spoke the way this man does” (John 7:46, NIV).
3. The Mighty God. He is the God-Man. He said that He and the Father are one (John 10:30).
4. The Everlasting Father. It was by Him, the living Word, that all things were created. He is the designer of the whole universe (John 1:3; Hebrews 11:3).
5. The Prince of Peace. There will never be lasting peace on earth until He comes again to reign in righteousness. But He is also the Prince of Peace in other ways. None can have peace with God apart from Him and the peace that He made through the blood of His cross (Colossians 1:20).
The full meaning of these words from Isaiah should give us enough strength, hope, and joy to face any crisis, endure any sorrow, and meet any temptation. How has Jesus shown you recently that He is “Wonderful, Counselor … the Prince of Peace”?
Do You Need God’s Love in Your Life?
Give To Where Most Needed
Help us fulfill our mission of proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all we can by every effective means available to us and by equipping others to do the same.