Subscribe to Decision
Get your own subscription, or renewal, or bless someone by giving Decision Magazine as a gift.
As I go out to battle against the unseen enemy, I am learning the power of praise. Because praise is one of our most effective spiritual weapons, it can help us break through enemy lines and experience victory.
I can testify that although my circumstances may not change, praise changes my attitude and perspective. Praise strengthens my spirit and brings peace that quiets my heart.
I. The Blessing
- What was the blessing found in 2 Chronicles 19:4 that preceded the battle in 20:1?
- What was the blessing in Matthew 3:13-17 that preceded the attack on Jesus in Matthew 4:1-11?
- Skim through John 9. What was the blessing that preceded the attack on the man who had been born blind?
- What was the blessing that preceded the attack on the leaders of the early church? See Acts 3:1-26 with Acts 4:1-3.
- Looking back on the recent past, what attack have you experienced that followed a blessing?
- What can we learn from this pattern? See Ephesians 6:18.
II. The Battle
- Describe the attack in 2 Chronicles 20:1-2.
- How did King Jehoshaphat react?
- On what promise of God did Jehoshaphat base his prayer? Compare 2 Chronicles 20:6-9 with 2 Chronicles 7:13-15.
- When have you been attacked physically? Emotionally? Relationally? Spiritually? Mentally?
- How have you reacted?
- Which of the following promises could you claim to base your prayer of faith on? Psalm 27:5; 46:1-11; 100:5; Isaiah 40:29-31; Hebrews 13:5-6; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10; Romans 8:28, 31-39; Hebrews 10:35-39.
III. The Banner
- What challenge did Jehoshaphat give to his people? Put the passage from 2 Chronicles 20:20 into your own words.
- What unique instructions did Jehoshaphat give, and what was the result, in 2 Chronicles 20:21-22?
- Relate Psalm 60:4 to the king’s strategy against the enemy.
- See Isaiah 11:10. Who is our Banner?
- When you are under attack, how can you raise the Banner? What will you do to incorporate praise in your strategy to overcome the enemy?
Fill in the blanks:
- I praise the Lord for who He is_________.
- I praise the Lord for what He has done__________.
- I praise the Lord for what He is and will do__________.
- Next time you feel you can’t take one more sleepless night, one more disappointment, one more painful procedure, one more slanderous lie, one more hurtful rejection, one more_________, lift high the banner of His Name. There is power in praise!
Is it possible that God is wanting to give you a breakthrough in 2023, but He is waiting for you to lift up the Banner of His Name? Start praising Him now. And keep on praising Him until you have victory. ©2022 Anne Graham Lotz
Anne Graham Lotz has proclaimed God’s Word worldwide for more than 40 years. Her newest book, which she co-authored with her daughter Rachel-Ruth Wright, is “Jesus Followers: Real-Life Lessons for Igniting Faith in the Next Generation.” It is available from major booksellers online.
Photo: Logan Ryan/©2022 BGEA
Give To Where Most Needed
Help us fulfill our mission of proclaiming the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to all we can by every effective means available to us and by equipping others to do the same.