The father of lies has been falsely accusing God from the beginning. In the Garden, the essence of Satan’s diabolical scheme to bring about the fall of man was asking Eve the doubt-provoking question: “Did God really say that?”
Subscribe to Decision
Get your own subscription, or renewal, or bless someone by giving Decision Magazine as a gift.
Following that lead, today’s culture is in all-out rebellion to God’s Word, either by disregarding its authority altogether or by taking scissors to its pages, effectively forming false gods to accommodate fleshly desires.
The Bible speaks of such things. Romans 1 describes those who “suppress the truth in unrighteousness” (v. 18) and “exchange the truth of God for the lie” (v. 25).
Here are five lies much of the world believes, countered by God’s truth on the matter:
LIE NO. 1:
THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE MORAL AUTHORITY.
• “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
—2 Timothy 3:16-17
• “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.”
• “His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”
—2 Peter 1:3-4
LIE NO. 2:
IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT.
• “All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirits.”
• “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”
• “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way.”
— Isaiah 53:6
• “As it is written: ‘There is none righteous, no, not one; there is none who understands; there is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; they have together become unprofitable; there is none who does good, no, not one.’”
• “But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you.”
LIE NO. 3:
WE ARE FREE TO REDEFINE MARRIAGE AS WE WANT.
• “Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. And Adam said: ‘This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.’ Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”
• “And He answered and said to them, ‘Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”
• “It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband.”
—1 Corinthians 7:1-2
• “Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.”
—Hebrews 13:4 (ESV)
LIE NO. 4:
HOMOSEXUALITY IS GOOD AND SHOULD BE CELEBRATED.
• “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.”
• “If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination.”
• “For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting.”
• “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”
—1 Corinthians 6:9-10
LIE NO. 5:
IT’S MY BODY; I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT.
• “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
—1 Corinthians 6:19-20
• “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.”
—Romans 12:1 (ESV)
D 2015 BGEA
UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, SCRIPTURE QUOTATIONS ARE TAKEN FROM THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW KING JAMES VERSION. THE SCRIPTURE QUOTATIONS MARKED ESV ARE TAKEN FROM THE HOLY BIBLE, ENGLISH STANDARD VERSION.
Give To Where Most Needed
Your gift of any amount to “Where Most Needed” will help us fulfill our mission to share the Gospel with people around the world.